Sunday, April 8, 2018

Week 13: Goals & Grit


Week 13 made me realize how goals and grit can ensure I finish strong in my student teaching experience.

To share how goals and grit helped me survive Week 13, I will share a HIGH (some of the best #UndeniablyDerry and other dynamite moments), a LOW (something I wish was better, but can’t change so I learn to grow from the experience), and a TIP (something that encouraged me to continue to grow my roots in agriculture education).

High: On Thursday (4/5) I survived the most exciting, crazy, and stressful day of my student teaching experience! Below, I highlighted and summarized the most exhausting day EVER:

8AM-2PM: Final observation/evaluation by Dr. Ewing
A great summary of my thoughts!
  • Excitement hit me as I unlocked the door to my classroom. Today was my FINAL observation/evaluation. Today was the day that proved I have the ability to be a positive change agent. Although I was excited, nerves and stress settled in when Dr. Ewing walked through the door at 7:30AM. However passion and preparation helped drive me throughout the day, and presented an awesome outcome with positive observation/evaluation scores and comments.  

3PM: Online Interview for a teaching position
  • After dismissing my students out of the classroom at 2:50PM, I abruptly grabbed my suit jacket and logged into Google Hangout to interview for my dream job. A few deep breaths and a mindset of determination allowed me to present myself personally and professionally.

5PM: PAAE Western Region Meeting
  • As the bags under my eyes became more apparent and the need for a nap was growing, I finished out this exciting and stressful day at the PAAE Western Region Meeting.  Not only did this give me an opportunity to be reminded of the power of an expansive professional network, but it reminds me of the reasons why I chose this profession. Check out my reflection from this experience on another blog.

Low: As I shared last week, I worked to clear my desk from the stacks of papers to input final third marking period grades. To greet me Tuesday, I was informed of an email received from a concerned parent about their child’s final third marking period grade in the class. This is super frustrating. Frustrating because I presented so many opportunities for this student to come work with me, and even made effort to send work to their learning support teacher. Due to the student having an IEP, I am required to pass him with a 60%. He rightfully earned a 64%, due to lack of effort. However I realized that some people will believe the grade earned is from the lack of effort from the teacher not the student. I was reassured by my cooperating teacher that I took all the appropriate actions, but it is still frustrating to be informed about this thought.

Tip: I often share my weekly reflection with a high and low because I truly believe in developing and growing from the positives and negatives from every experience to help me reach my future goals. Thursday truly proved to me what goals and grit will allow you to achieve. Although exhaustion hit me hard, I persevered and continued to run the marathon of student teaching. I did not let myself give up or give in to anything, this day was one of the biggest days that I had worked for in my educational journey. It was evident how goals and grit provided me the passion, perseverance and stamina to successfully achieve and survive the most exciting, crazy and stressful days.

Weekly Unique Moments:

Final Round: I was more than excited to receive a phone call Friday that informed me I was one of two candidates that would be moving forward to the FINAL round of interviews for my dream job!

My favorite learning lab!
Course Schedule: Friday my emotions hit me a little as my cooperating teacher took back over my Ag Leadership course. Then next week, I give back my Greenhouse Production class to Mr. Campbell. Through a few moments of reflection, I believe that this class challenged me the most. Not only did I grow my content knowledge of plant science, but I advanced my knowledge of the application of greenhouse production and management. I can say I am more confident, and I am excited to potentially have a future program with a greenhouse! 


2 comments:

  1. Halee,

    Keep doing great things with your students at Derry, while preparing for the next stage. I am glad to hear that your interview went well.

    -Dr. Ewing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Halee, as always, thank you for such a detailed blog post! Congratulations on a successful final observation, and on getting a final interview for your dream job. I hope this positivity will continue to motivate you throughout you final weeks at Derry. To address your low that you shared this week about the student: document, document, and document some more. When dealing with a student who is reluctant to do work, whether they have an IEP or not, always keep a log and documentation about what you have done to help them so if there are questions about a low grade, you have proof to show what you did to address the issue.

    ReplyDelete